Understand that to become a real estate agent is much more than holding a license – and since it can be challenging and expensive to get to the point where you can legally sell real estate, it is EXTREMELY important to understand how to actually make money as a REALTOR®.
STEP 1: Get Your License and Hang It
Step 1 is to actually study for and get your real estate license. This is a very straight forward (albeit oftentimes difficult) step. As challenging as it can be for many people to pass the test and get your license, remember that you then will need to turn around and pay your fees.
The first three things you’ll want to do is
- Check your State Licensing Department for the rules for becoming a real estate agent.
- Find a highly rated training company and take classes that have helped a high percentage of students pass the test early on.
- Team up with a real estate brokerage that is a good fit for your goals, talents, and needs.
- Get your license and join your local Board of REALTORS® / MLS
STEP 2: Sell Real Estate and Make Money!
Here are the steps that really make the magic happen – what we like to say really helps you become a real estate agent that not only survives, but THRIVES!
1. Before Anything Else
The first thing you want to do is focus and develop a plan. If you already have a plan, it’s good to review it often and adjust, if needed.
- Set Your Goals
- Identify Your Target Audience
- The problem you solve for them
- The benefit they get from you taking care of things
- What sets you apart?
2. Ready for Marketing
- Optimize everything to work together!! Knowing #1 above will help you do that.
- Establish online and offline sales and marketing systems and tools for lead generation and management.
Real Estate Lead GENERATION
There are countless ways to generate real estate buyer and seller leads. Once you know your target audience and your goals, select the best lead gen options for your business model. Of course, we can help.
- Deliberate Referral Systems (or, the slower method: accidental referral systems)
- Website Landing Page(s) Lead Magnet
- Blog Posts with Lead Magnets based on Category
- Social Media Strategies that Pour Traffic to Your Blog Posts*
- Open Houses
- 3rd Party Lead Generators
Real Estate Lead NURTURING (Management)
Every lead you have in your pocket, scribbled on a napkin, or entered into your phone is worth MONEY!! Whether they are an A, B, or C prospect, you will sell a lot more real estate by following up systematically. Don’t waste your time doing it all yourself or using high-touch methods on C prospects.
- Value Centric Email Newsletters that Link to Your Blog
- Drip Email Campaigns
- CRM / Sales Systems for Contact Follow Up
* More About Social Media to Drive Prospects to Your Interior Web Pages
If you want to sell more, stop selling so hard on social media! Here are some truths about successful real estate marketing we have learned over the years to help you jump ahead of the pack more quickly:
The 5 Columns of the Social Parthenon
1. Listings for Sale or Sold
Everyone loves to see your listings. This is #1, but it will turn off prospects if done more than anything else!!
2. Your Life
Social media is social. I mean, it’s right there in the term itself. That means that people want to get to know you. Do you love travel? Dogs? Cats? Your family? Stay on brand, but share what you love – we recommend once / week. Again …. stay on brand, but you will attract more clients that share interests with you. They won’t be the ONLY ones you attract, but how great will it be standing out even more to those people with whom you have your favorite things in common? It’s similar to when someone has the exact same car as you …. some of us are known to wave and smile. Get more clients like that.Social media is social. I mean, it’s right there in the term itself. That means that people want to get to know you. Click To Tweet
3. Your Local Community
People who find you online will be much more likely to contact you to help them with real estate if they know you not only know the area, but are really a part of the community. Locals will celebrate what you have to share out of pride, and relocating prospects fall even more in love with the idea of moving there.
4. Tips for Target Audience Segment #2
5. Tips for Target Audience Segment #3
Split your target audience into 3 segments.
Past clients are ALWAYS Target Audience #1. They are your top referrers – and you want to make sure you CONTINUE to be their must call when it’s time for them to get back into the game.
Other target audiences can include:
- Residential Developers
- Rental Property Investors
- Commercial Property Investors
- Paid Lead Generators: If you are a preferred referral for Dave Ramsey (an ELP), or get paid leads, that would be a good group to segment out
Look at those target lists. You don’t talk to the different groups the same, so you want to be sure to provide very specific information to each of them.
A social media post that speaks right to you is much more powerful than a watered down, generic net that is clearly cast over an unfocused group.A social media post that speaks right to you is much more powerful than a watered down, generic net that is clearly cast over an unfocused group. Click To Tweet
Use the link below to schedule a Marketing Strategy Mapping Session. We’d be happy to talk more about what you have going on, where you want to be, and how to get there much sooner.